| Arsenic Crisis Info Centre |

Back ] Up ] Next ]


Article From News From Bangladesh archives


Work on project to supply arsenic-free water begins

Work on 20-sub-projects to supply arsenic-free water through alternative means instead of tubewells has begun in five upazilas of the country.

The work began with the signing of an agreement between Bangladesh Arsenic Mitigation Water Supply Project (BAMWSP) and 32 rural organisations and UP chairmen in Bheramara upazila in Kushtia on Thursday.

The signing ceremony was preceded by a workshop on implementation of the sub-project.

Presided over by the Nirbahi officer of the upazila, the function was attended by Project Director of BAMWSP and senior officials of Local Government Ministry and Public Health Engineering Department.

The activities of the project will be expanded in other affected upazilas after completion of the survey in five upazilas - Bheramara, Hajiganj, Gopalganj, Ujirpur and Ishwardi.

The projects, on the basis of information of the survey and according to the demands of the local people, would under take digging and excavation of draw-wells and establishment of sand filters on the banks of ponds to supply arsenic-free water.

The project would cost Tk 83 lakh, of which the BAMWSP would provide 80 per cent and the rural organisations give remaining 20 per cent in the forms of labour, local inputs and other works. ( UNB)



Copyright 1998 Global Amitech

 

You are visitor West Bengal India & Bangladesh Arsenic Crisis since 7 Jan 98.  Page last modified 24 Sep 2002 .  Comments/problems email acic@bicn.com.

| Arsenic Crisis Info Centre |

Back ] Up ] Next ]